Saturday, November 1, 2008
Side Swiped at Seventy
This is going to go down in history as one Halloween to remember (I did like Melissa's fainting incident though). Have you ever been side swiped by someone going 70 mph. Here's the story. We were traveling to the SLC police station to trick or treat. Heading north on I-15 in the carpool lane I had 2 cars behind me - well behind me. There was no traffic at I had cruise set on 70-71 mph. Out of no where, the truck behind me decides to tailgate - really close, less than a car length. I got agitated and tapped my brakes. He did not back off or go around me. He used his signal thinking that was telling me to move over - remember, this is the carpool lane. He comes up pulling into the fast lane and nearly hits me going there - then comes back into the carpool lane cutting me off. He forgot he had a big dually F-350 man truck - he clipped us pretty good sending us into a short wobble. He obviously knew it because he took off. I wasn't going to let this bozo get off that easy. I speed up and the Pilot performed great reaching some high speeds so we could finally get his license plate and call 911. The adrenalin was rushing now. After about a mile at higher speeds, he knew he wasn't getting away (and his wife was probably yelling at him) and I didn't want to lose him because then no one would pay for this damage he caused, except me and my insurance. We followed him all the way to Redwood Rd. and SouthTemple to a parking lot where I kept my distance. He knew we had the cops coming. About 15 minutes later the cops show up and get our stories. It was a no brainer decision for them. They cited him but I don't know what citation he got. Turns out, he thought the lane was the "Express Lane" to the airport and told the cops we were only going 50 mph. Damage to the Pilot was minimal but that can still mean over $1000 to my fender and rims and tire. The best part was this guy and his entire family missed their flights. And it was his son's truck. Any body know a good body shop?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment