Monday, October 6, 2008

Overcoming Timp



We knew the weather was coming in, yet our goal was to make it to the top of Timpanogos before the snows hit. Our plan seemed to be working - we started at 5am with just a light drizzle that we attributed to being in a cloud. Hiking the trail at that time with headlamps was like being in a tunnel. We set a blistering pace to start but let up when we got to the first waterfall. That spot marked the fartherest Justin had been on that trail - and now we were taking him into the unknown. As the light of day started to show us the way, we noticed how wet we were and I could feel water going into my boots. Our original plan was to turn around if the rain doubled in intensity or if we hit snow. We hiked for about 2 hours before deciding to turn around - it was raining about 5 times as hard and almost snowing. In fact, we could see the snow line just a couple hundred yards ahead. This marked the turn around point. We put on warmer clothes only find out how hard it is to zip up when one's hands are numb. I think my thighs were past feeling as well. I felt a little discouraged that we had to turn around but I was colder than I had ever been in my life and knew we still had 2 hours back to the car - better not press out luck.


On the way down, we met some BYU students who were trying the same hike in the rain - they were in ponchos but also sandals - hmmmm??? About 1/4 later, 3 of the girls in that group came running down saying a big bull moose was coming down the trail. Great! now we had to tangle with a moose. The other 3 hikers then joined up saying the moose wouldn't let them pass and couldn't figure out how we got by it - truthfully, we never saw it.


After a nice leisurely hike back down, we really noticed how cold we were. My knees locked up riding down the canyon. I think it took a 20 minute shower to warm up - and the water just wasn't warm enough. Well, lesson learned - don't try to beat out the weather and keep an eye out for the old moose.
We enjoyed conference weekend at the parent's home in Provo. Adrianne and I enjoyed a movie late Saturday night and decided to crash there too. We then had a nice breakfast, another conference session and lunch then headed home for the afternoon session. I love conference weekend.

No comments: