Wednesday, September 3, 2008

My First Lecture

Today marked my first lecture in my graduate class. Ironically, I had just finished a book entitled "The Last Lecture" by Randy Pausch. It is about a computer science professor who has terminal pancreatic cancer. He is very gifted and has many good things to share with people as he knows he is going to die. But most of all, he shares his feelings with his children. It is about accomplishing your childhood dreams, whatever they may be. It reminds us of what the priorities should be in life. Great read for anyone who needs a little boost in life.

I did teach yesterday in my occupational safety and health class but that was more housekeeping stuff. Today was my lecture and great discussion to graduate students in public health - not necessary my area of expertise. But I am charged with providing the foundations of public health. It has been a real eye opener as how we put value on public health. The class is held once a week for 2.5 hours. I thought for sure we would get out early but the discussion just keep going and going. We were discussing if parents have the right to opt out of mandatory immunizations for their children. I think the students wanted to share because it was the first day and they needed to get the semester started right by impressing their nobel professor. They did very well. I could almost see it getting heated when I talked about people I know who don't send their kids to school because they are against mandatory immunizations - they have many othe reasons also. It was an exciting day and now I set my sights on - my second lecture. What is the cliche? One day at a time?

I hope you enjoy the video. Adrianne cooked up some awesome steaks for me and then it was off to the trampoline to have "bum wars". I'm glad I captured Anders saying he wanted a bum war. After the war it was full attack of the 4 legged spider - me. I lay on my back on the trampoline and the kids try to run around me without getting caught. If it goes to long without me catching them, they give themselves up and get caught and then the real fun begins. They yell "piggy" and all the other attack me to try and save the little one. It is my way of teaching them loyalty and bravery to fight for your flesh and blood - at least I think that is what I'm trying to teach.

No comments: